Thursday 21 June 2012

To the Skies!!

My local GW is doing an Apocalypse game this Saturday for fliers, skimmers and jump infantry only, so I thought I use that as an excuse to slow down with the Skaven and get some Assault Marines painted up.

A quick note about me and Space Marines, I have a large and neglected pile of them from my much younger days in the hobby and a while back decided I wanted to redo them as a Dorn successor chapter. After looking around the 40k wiki I settled on the Iron Fists, because the colours looked fun and I liked the back story. However painting marines is something I've always found tedious so I wanted to find a way of quickly doing them, basically by making the majority of the model a wash over Astronomicon Grey. This was my first attempt:


I was pretty pleased with it, but I pretty much left it there thinking I'd get around to the rest of them at some point in the future.

However, when I came to do my Assault Marines I realised there was a problem, namely that the most important paint in my scheme, Asurman Blue wash, is nothing like the new Drakenhof Nightshade shade, but as I don't have enough of the old colour I had to switch to the new one and hope for the best. Anyway, here are the results:









Its hard to decide which wash I like better (though the point is moot since Drakenhof is the only real option without hunting down an Asurman lookalike) but while I really like the colour of the Asurman Blue, Drakenhof does make them look dirtier, which is cool.

Anyhoo, this was a fun distraction but back to clanrats I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment